I enjoy speaking and teaching about writing for young adults, writing comics, and writing inclusively regardless of genre and format. I’m a faculty member at the MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults at Vermont College of Fine Arts.
I’ve spoken at high schools and universities, public and school libraries, and conferences including the American Library Association, Young Adult Literature Symposium, Assembly on Literature for Adolescents, Sirens, Wordstock (now the Portland Book Festival), and the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.
I’ve been a featured guest at many comic conventions including the Emerald City Comicon, the San Diego Comicon, and Wondercon. I’ve taught writing workshops for teens and adults in a variety of settings as well.
Some highlights include:
- Writing workshop instructor, Portland Public Schools Gay Straight Alliance/Gender and Sexuality Alliance Summit with youth participating from multiple middle and high schools
- Genre Fiction faculty, Lambda Literary Foundation Emerging LGBTQ Voices Retreat
- Writing the Other master class instructor, comics
- Graphic Storytelling guest instructor, The Animation Workshop in Viborg, Denmark
- Mentor for We Need Diverse Books
If you’re interested in booking me for a speaking engagement, workshop, or other appearance at a school, college, university, library, bookstore, comic convention, or other venue, please contact me.