IÂ enjoy speaking and teaching about writing for young adults, writing comics, and writing inclusively regardless of genre and format.
I’ve spoken atÂ high schools and universities, public and school libraries, and conferences including the American Library Association, Young Adult Literature Symposium, Assembly on Literature for Adolescents, Sirens, Wordstock, and the Society of Childrenâ€™s Book Writers and Illustrators.
I’ve been a featured guest at many comic conventions including the Emerald City Comicon, the San Diego Comicon, and Wondercon. I’ve taught writing workshops for teens and adults in a variety of settings as well.
Some highlights include:
- Facilitating a session at the Portland Public Schools GSA/QSA Summit with youth participating from multiple middle and high schools
- Genre Fiction faculty at the Lambda Literary Foundation Emerging LGBTQ Voices Retreat
- Teaching a Writing the Other master class focused on comics
- Guest instructor in the Graphic Storytelling program at The Animation Workshop in Viborg, Denmark
- Mentor for We Need Diverse Books
If youâ€™re interested in booking me for a speaking engagement, workshop, or other appearance at a school, college, university, library, bookstore, comic convention, or other venue, please contact me.