I enjoy speaking and teaching about writing for young people, writing comics, and writing inclusively regardless of genre and format. I’m a faculty member in the MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults program at Vermont College of Fine Arts.
I’ve spoken at high schools and universities, public and school libraries, and conferences including the American Library Association, Young Adult Literature Symposium, Assembly on Literature for Adolescents, Sirens, Wordstock (now the Portland Book Festival), and the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.
I’ve been a featured guest at many comic conventions including the Emerald City Comicon, the San Diego Comicon, and Wondercon. I’ve taught writing workshops for teens and adults in a variety of settings as well.
Some highlights beyond my VCFA WCYA faculty role include:
- Writing workshop instructor, Portland Public Schools Gender and Sexuality Alliance Summit
- Genre Fiction faculty, Lambda Literary Foundation Emerging LGBTQ Voices Retreat
- Writing the Other master class instructor, comics
- Graphic Storytelling guest instructor, The Animation Workshop in Viborg, Denmark
- Mentor for We Need Diverse Books
If you’re interested in booking me for a speaking engagement, workshop, or other appearance at a school, college, university, library, bookstore, comic convention, or other venue, please contact me. I am not available for events that discriminate against historically excluded, marginalized, or underrepresented communities.